Thursday, February 5, 2009

The ball is in motion...

On February 23rd, I will be starting my 40-hour long externship at Saint Francis Memorial Hospital in San Francisco. I got assigned today through the externship coordinator of my phlebotomy program. I am so thankful because this means I am closer to becoming a certified phlebotomist, which would provide me a unique career in healthcare. 

After 6 years of being a veterinary technician, I have decided to make a slight career change from animal venipuncture to human venipuncture. This decision came after the disappointing and heart-breaking reality that my position at the Berkeley Humane Society would be terminated as of February 1st, 2009. In addition, practically everyone is being devastatingly impacted by the current state of the economy, that few veterinary hospitals are hiring. (I have this silly thing called standards which prevents me from working anywhere else other than an animal shelter or a holistic practice. I'm not in such a terrible financial condition just yet to work just anywhere.)

I've always really enjoyed the act of venipuncture, and know that the purpose is extremely important for diagnostics in patient care. Although I am crossing over from animal healthcare to human healthcare, I don't feel any differently about my goal, and that is, be the best and be the kindest. 

2 comments:

The McCarthys said...

good for you! just remember that your new patients will be able to talk back to you! hehe

Unknown said...

I know. that's what scary to me, but i guess it's good because then i'll gain some great interpersonal skills!