Tuesday, July 1, 2008



With only hunger pains in my stomach and food on my mind, I stood in front of the refrigerator, door wide open, and scanned each of its contents in search of an idea for a meal. I stood there a very long time. I grabbed a cold Honest Tea and sipped it while standing in front of the open fridge. It was horrible how much time and energy I was wasting while Tim and I were "starving"; how could I be so inert?
I got on the couch and asked Tim if we should just order food to be delivered. Chinese food, Indian food, pizza... oh my! We need to stop the habit of rapid calorie consumption with minimal calorie exertion, especially after getting food delivered.
I went back into the kitchen and pulled out of the fridge all of the glorious vegetables we had in our crisper- red and yellow peppers, broccoli, zucchini, corn, and carrots. I chopped them up in big chunks along with an onion and some large garlic cloves, then threw them onto the grill. I also sliced up a cube of tofu, wrapped it in several layers of paper towels, and placed it under a heavy plate to get the tofu as dry as possible. 
In a small bowl, I whisked together a few tablespoons of sweet chili sauce and a heaping mound of Sriracha. I placed the tofu on the grill and cooked it about 4 minutes on each side, just to get those beautiful grill marks. I then coated the tofu with the sauce and grilled it again for a minute.
I served everything with a little rice. We sat in front of the television, chomped joyfully and smiled when we realized we saved ourselves some cash.





No comments: